Старый 17.10.2018, 19:23
Michael Baryshnikov

По умолчанию Not A Good Sign

Michael Baryshnikov написал(а) к All в Oct 18 11:54:28 по местному времени:

Нello All!

Залиты диски NotA_GoodSign:
(2015)From_ADistance
(2018)_Icebound

Добавлены второй и третий (пока - последний) альбомы NAGS.
Оба альбома просто отличные! Настоящий английский олд-скульный прог.
ВЕСЬМА РЕКОМЕНДУЮ!

===
From A Distance
(c) Review by BrufordFreak, PA

Not a Good Sign's sophomore effort disappoints. There is just something lacking here that the debut had. Energy. Enthusiasm. It's as if the band is often caught going through the motions, as if the spirit and conviction of the effort is missing. I felt this from the first two listens through the album--even before I found out that this was to be Francesco Zago's last work with the group. Nothing feels finished, polished, fully developed. There are parts of songs that just plod along--as if it's an effort just to get through the next measure. The continued excellent voice and vocal performances of LA COSCIENZO DI ZENO's Alessio Calandriello are not enough to save this one; each of the other contributors seems unable to work as a team, or to get excited for the end product. Perhaps Francesco's immanent departure was known before or during the creation of this album. I don't know. I just know that nothing, no song has nearly the fire and strength of 2013's debut. Whatever it is that Paolo "Ske" Botta, Alessandro Cassani, Martino Malacrida, and Francesco Zago do next, I wish them well. They are without doubt extraordinary artists--all of them. I've just come to expect better of Not a Good Sign than this.
===

Icebound
(c) Review by BrufordFreak, PA

With this, the third album release from AltrOck band Not a Good Sign, we see some lineup changes as founder Francesco Zago has moved onto other projects and vocalist Alessio Calandriello makes his final contributions before moving on. Founding members keyboard whiz Paolo "SKE" Botta, bassist Alessandro Cassani, and drummer Martino Malacrida remain, while familiar Gian Marco Trevisan (From a Distance and live performances since 2015) picks up the guitar and some of the vocal duties.

1. "Second Thought" (2:33) opens like a powerful MAНAVISНNU ORCНESTRA song. Wow! What an album opening! It then turns more avant/RIO at the 1:30 mark. (9/10)

2. "Frozen Words" (7:06) piano and Alessio open this one before the band joins in with kind of spacious ballad- support. The band is using an interesting, very different, recording/effect style on Alessio's voice for this one-- making it feel more human, more within the mix than out in front. In the fourth minute the song moves into a more up-tempo jazz-rock instrumental section while plenty of odd vocal and field samples get disbursed throughout. At 5:20 things quiet down again as distant violin and acoustic guitar provide the only sounds--not to last too long as full band and Alessio return for the heavier, up-tempo finale. (8.5/10)

3. "Нidden Smile" (9:08) a rock instrumental that harbors some very familiar NOT A GOOD SIGN riffs within the keyboard, percussion, and guitar performances. I love the shift at 4:25 whereupon the violin gets a chance to shine. The music in the delicate slowdown in the eighth minute is quite lovely. (8.5/10)

4. "As If" (0:58) instrumental flourishes and interludes: something SKE excels at. (5/5)

5. "Down Below" (7:41) what a gift is the voice of Alessio Calandriello! The introductory section is followed by a very solid and engaging instrumental section--and then again by Alessio's wonderfully fitting and perfected vocal performance. Very tightly constructed and performed. A top three song for me. These are the heights that I hoped for when I purchased this album. Interesting "descent" into silence in the seventh minute before the emotional instrumental return for the final minute. (9.5/10)

6. "Truth" (7:13) opening with lots of layers of delicacy and subtlety--especially from the drums and multiple keyboards. Inventive chord progression yields plenty of inspiration for melodic constructs through the first two minutes. Then everything shifts and opens up to a more spacious soundscape to make room for the brief but brilliant lead vocal performance. A VDGG/Canterburian instrumental section ensues over which guitar solos and drums shine. Toward the end of the fifth minute things shift but remain heavy; this VDGG theme and style plays out to the song's end. (9/10)

7. "Not Yet" (1:28) bass, odd percussives, and odd key sounds open this one before the whole band bursts forth in a beautiful melody. This could have gone on! (5/5)

8. "Trapped In" (9:42) again, a VDGG soundscape is employed for the base of this song. Alessio enters with his plaintive voice with female vocalists backing him. The dynamic shifts from loud and heavy to soft and ominous are so well executed. A powerful, peripatetic song! I love the soft interlude in the fourth and fifth minutes--followed by a build up and release for David Jackson's sax. I'm feeling some SEVEN IMPALE here, too! (9/10)

9. "Uomo Neve" (2:32) spacious piano and incidentals open this one before a low chromatic hit of the keys ushers in an eerie, almost creepy section with lots of small-crowd voices flowing beneath the bass, percussives, and keys. Closes out with a return and fading out of the spacious piano from the opening. (4.5/5)

A near-masterpiece from an ever-evolving band of very talented composers and performers. Francesco and Alessio may have left the building but this solid band is still strong and standing tall!
===

Enjoy!
WBR, Michael Baryshnikov.

--- wfido
Ответ

Опции темы
Опции просмотра