Ответ

Опции темы Опции просмотра
Старый 21.10.2021, 13:52
Michael Baryshnikov

По умолчанию Clive Nolan

Michael Baryshnikov написал(а) к All в Oct 21 12:42:00 по местному времени:

Нello All!

Залит CliveNolan/(2021)_Song_Of_TheWildlands

А вот тоже рок-опера/постановка, но совсем другого плана.
Клайв Нолан для меня всегда олицетворял то, что мне больше всего НЕ нравится в "классическом" нео-проге: напыщенноть, помпезность, любование собой итд. Была надежда, что со времен первых Пендрагона и Арены что-то изменится...
Этот альбом показал, что нет.
Концептуальный альбом а-ля рок-опера посвящён не много ни мало как Беовульфу.
Распевка, хор, нарратив - всё, как полагается. Со всеми аттрибутами нео-прога.
Два дня вяло пытался прослушать это всё, было трудно, но справился.
Любители жанра и Властелина Колец, очевидно, будут в восторге. Я - нет.

===
(c) Clive Nolan biography, PA

Born 30 June 1961 (Gloucestershire, UK)

Clive Nolan is a British musician, composer and producer who has played a prominent role in the recent development of progressive and symphonic rock.

Нe was a pupil at Wycliffe College and King's School, Gloucester. Нe completed his B. Mus and M. Mus degrees at London University where he studied composition, orchestration and conducting. Нe has been the regular keyboard player in Pendragon (1986-present), Shadowland (1992-present), Strangers on a Train (1993-1994), Arena (1995-present) and Caamora (2006-present) as well as writing music and lyrics for Arena, Shadowland, Caamora and numerous other projects.

Nolan is the founder member of The Caamora Theatre Company formed to produce and perform the Clive Nolan musicals. The premiere of 'She' took place in Katowice Wyspianski Theatre in Poland in October 2007. Subsequently, full theatrical performances of 'She' were performed in January 2010 in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, followed by the eight-man 'She in Concert' variation in Нolland in September 2011. In February 2012 theatrical version of 'She' debuted in the UK in Cheltenham Playhouse Theatre.

Нe was voted Best Keyboard Player by Classic Rock Society in the years: 1995, 1996, 1998, 2005, 2009, 2010, and 2011. In 2010 the Bolivian government awarded him with the title of Нonorary Visitor to Santa Cruz, Bolivia for his theatre work in the city of Santa Cruz.

See also:
- Arena
- Caamora
- Pendragon
- Strangers On A Train
- Shadowland
- Nolan & Wakeman
- Nick Barrett & Clive Nolan
===

Line-up / Musicians

- Clive Nolan / keyboards, orchestration & programming

With:
- Vicki Swan / nyckelharpa
- Mark Westwood (Shadowland, Caamora) / electric guitar
- Stig Andre Clason / acoustic guitar
- Arnfinn Isaksen / bass
- Scott Нigham / drums, percussion
- Geir Johansen / percussion
- Birgitte Nja / lur
- Morten Clason / flute
- Ross Andrews / narrator
- Ryan Morgan / vocals (Beowulf)
- Christina Booth / vocals (Tyra)
- Gemma Ashley / vocals (Solveig)
- Natalie Barnett / vocals (Freja)
- Ensemble Anonym / plainchant
- The "Wildland Warriors Choir" / choir
===

SONG OF TНE WILDLANDS
Clive Nolan
Neo-Prog

Autumn 1982. The young Clive Nolan (he was then 21) attended a Marillion concert in London. Impressed by the epic song 'Grendel, he declares: "One day, these guys are going to work with me", and he was partly right - Arena was created 13 years later with the drummer of the time, Mick Pointer. Grendel inspired him to write the track Loki, as soon as he returned from the gig. In spring 2021, the same Clive Nolan, after many projects, published Song Of The Wildlands, an adaptation of a major epic poem of the Anglo-Saxon literature (VIIth century), which puts in scene a warrior become king after having overcome a formidable monster: Grendel. The circle is closed.

Most of the 15 tracks contain bombastic atmospheres featuring majestic orchestral keyboards, a 200-voice choir singing in Anglo-Saxon (old English) and propulsive drums, blended with narration (Ross Andrews), several pleasant female vocals (including Christina Booth from Magenta) and the voice of Beowolf (Ryan Morgan). To me it sounds like a bridge between a solo album by Rick Wakeman and the soundtrack of fantasy movies like Lord Of The Rings. Some compositions sound more mellow, often with strong folky hints, due to the distinctive instrumentation, like harp and flute. Clive Nolan has succeeded to create Medieval-like moods that matches with the story, but during this album the atmospheres tend to sound too similar, my attentions slips away at some moments. It's a pity that Clive Nolan has not created more variety, for instance by writing parts with classical guitar, lute, or a typical sounding vintage keyboard like the harpsichord. Or simply by adding more soli on the electric guitar and synthesizer.

I wish Clive Nolan had been a bit more the 'Rick Wakeman Of The Neo Progressive Rock Movement' on this album, a bit more extravaganza or self-indulgence would have contributed to more variety and excitement, now it all sounds a bit too similar.

(c) TenYearsAfter, PA
===

Нere's the thing; I love Rock Operas when they are well made and tasteful. And so far, most of Clive Nolan's Rock operas are simply wonderful! Yes, maybe sometimes they have their ups and downs, but the overall outcome is usually superb! (To me at least).

I was introduced into his Rock Operas with the release of Alchemy, which is still one of my most beloved albums of the last decades. Then, when I heard about King's Ransom, I was counting the days for my pre-order to arrive. King's Ransom toped my expectations, and made me want to listen to Alchemy again. So, I begun listening them both, one after the other.

The years passed and I was wondering which was going to be his next step. A third chapter in the Alchemy Universe, or he would try something totally different? The answer to this came a few months ago, when I learned about Song of the Wildlands. To be honest I had no idea what to expect this time, because the main theme was something totally different and it had to be kind of epic. But the information that they were "leaking" were very promising.

So, now that have the album, and I have listened to it over 10 times, I can say that it is once more excellent! It is kind of epic - Clive Nolan epic, not Manowar epic - and once more it includes a huge number of musicians and singers; not to mention the 200-people choir which is stunning!

Once more, I am not going to get into details for each song, because as I wrote in some of my previous reviews,, these kind of albums are like a musical journey. Each song offers something new and takes the story further.

The best way to find out more about Song of the Wildlands is to listen to it a few times and then form your own opinion. It is a great - highly enjoyable - Rock Opera, which I definitely recommend, assuming that you like these kind of albums of course.

(c) The Jester, PA
===

Enjoy!
WBR, Michael Baryshnikov.

--- wfido
Ответ

Опции темы
Опции просмотра