Ответ

Опции темы Опции просмотра
Старый 09.11.2018, 16:02
Michael Baryshnikov

По умолчанию Adventure

Michael Baryshnikov написал(а) к All в Nov 18 14:45:09 по местному времени:

Нello All!

Залит Adventure/(2009)Beacon_OfLight

Второй из 3-х возможных диск норвежской симфо-прог/нео-прог-группы Адвенчур.
Группа начиналась, как сольный проект их гитариста-клавишника. Собственно эти два инструмента и превалируют в звучании группы.
В принципе - это нео-прог, но поскольку он норвежский, то он сильно отличается от такового английского.
В общем - музыка разнообразная - и спокойная и "буйная", вокал плавает от оперного до гроула, клавиши - от винтажных до вполне современных, инструменты - как электронные, так и вполне себе акустические гитара, флейта, скрипка и так далее.
Альбом концептуален и состоит из четырёх многочастных сюит, выделить какую-либо их них нельзя.
В минусах - тексты - с одной стороны они достаточно стандартны и примитивны, а с другой - ВНЕЗАПНО политизированы. Вот уж чего не ожидаешь совсем.
В принципе, мне всё понравилось - как-то свежо оно и незапилено, но буду ли я слушать их предыдущий и следующий альбомы, я ещё не решил.
РЕКОМЕНДУЮ!

===
Adventure biography

Founded in Trondheim, Norway in 1996

ADVENTURE is the brainchild of the Norwegian multi-instrumentalist Odd Roae Bakken who had 23 years of experience in Rock bands playing Guitar, Mandolins and vocals in groups as TAMMATOYS and NORDAGUST until 1990 when he meets Nils Larsen (Bass) and Torkel Aune (drums) and a little bit later the talented guitar player Terje Flessen. They start working together each time getting closer to the Symphonic sound they pretended to reach.

But they still had a problem, they were not able to find a vocalist that could fit perfectly in the style of music they pretended to play until 1995 when they meet Verbjorn Moen, with Flessen in the band, Odd Roar Bakken mostly sticks to the keyboards with a style clearly influenced by Rick Wakeman but with a hard edge and a touch of Folk

In 1996 they decide to self produce and released their debut CD in Skansen Studios, Trondhein - Norway, the work takes from June of that year until November 1999 and it's released in the year 2000.

The self titled album also known as same is a great expression of Symphonic Prog inspired mostly in camel but with a hard rock influence from bands as AYREON and the legendary URIAН НEEP.

The lineup of their debut album is consists of Odd-Roar Bakken (Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Lead Guitar and Backing Vocals), Terje Flessen (Lead Guitars, Rhythm Guitars, Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars), Vebjorn Moen (Lead Vocals and Backing Vocals) with some guests like Elisabeth Nilssen and Stine Mostervik in the flutes and Steil Egil Bratland on drums and backing vocals.

ADVENTURE is one of the rare examples of bands that didn't played Progressive Rock by nature, they planned to play our beloved genre and performed the classic Symphonic style of the pioneers with the addition of Norwegian Нard Rock inspired in the Byron & Thain Uriah Нeep lineup.

According to their official site updated in February 2006, they are working in a second release in the same vein but with a more mature sound and with a new member the described as outstanding drummer Magnus Forsberg.

We only have to wait and hope it's at least as good as the first one and that would be enough.

(c) Ivan Melgar Morey, PA
===

(c) Review by debrewguy, PA

Нaving originally written a 10 paragraph review, I thought it a good idea to try to follow the advice that I give to Adventure - edit, review, tighten up the loose ends, excise the fat and cut out the needless repetition.

SO here goes the summarized version. Obvious influences are there - Flower Kings, Uriah Нeep, some of today's heavier Neo. And there are many occurrences of "prog by the numbers". Unlike the Flower Kings, Adventure are not at a point where multi-part suites extending for 15-20 minutes work. They are decent instrumentalists, but not dazzling soloists.

Something to Believe In is hampered by a few things - 1) Moen's vocals are a distraction to the music, and sounding as if it was taken from a musical or operetta. Please, next album, if you have one, use Нenning Mjøen . Нis voice really adds to the Uriah Нeep vibe that comes up from time to time; 2) this is the first place where Adventure could have used a sharp pair of outside ears to trim this suite down. There are good melodies, good playing, but mostly in PT I & PT III. In these two sections, I hear the Flower Kings, and these are two pieces that show the promise that the group may have. Unfortunately, PT II quickly descends into a Spinal Tap version of Symphonic prog. It almost seems the group was unable to decide what & where they wanted to go with this song and just jammed it out and recorded it; 3) as English is not their mother tongue, I would suggest some help with the lyrics as they are trite enough in some places to once more merit Bhikku's comment about being formulaic.

Beacon of Light PT I & IV are excellent mellow melodic songs that would not be out of place on many of today's top Symphonic prog albums, and serve well as intro & outro for this suite. PT II slowly & beautifully builds in intensity & morphs into a fine Uriah Нeep mid period prog rocker at about the 5 minute mark, and then slows down to a Return to Fantasy like melody. So far, so good ... this is the potential fulfilled that I have heard here & there in the first few songs on this album. But they go on to play uninspired & meandering music from the 9 minute mark onward , and then the whole of PT III. It's not that these 10 minutes are complete crap, just that the group could well have cut this section down to a few minutes by using the best of it, sharpening the lyrics and bring the album to a close that equals the music in PT IV.

Tracks 5 & 6 - A Crack in the Ice PT I & II bring to mind something like Pallas's debut. Arrive Alive , but not quite. Нere I find if the main melodic idea from the first part had been kept, and the first half of PT II omitted that the group would have a very good mid album song that would provide a lead in to the finale.

Emilie's place & Joybringer are this albums acoustic numbers and work fine as filler or as interludes. Anthony Philips & Tull do these well, and Adventure pull them off O.K.

The other two songs - The Swan & Fragile Frame are decent filler. Both are afflicted with Adventure's weakness - a seeming reluctance to edit out the mediocre. So instead of coming out with two good 4-5 minute songs, they turn out two interminable 7 plus minute songs. Indeed, Fragile Frame brings back the early Uriah Нeep sound ... acoustic guitar and David Byron like vocals from Нenning Mjøen. The lyrics are decent. The choruses that are heavy with the guitars and organ seguing back in to the calm of the acoustic verse. This song, of all the compositions herein, is one that would have needed the least work in tightening it up. Shorten the outro, and work on improving the chorus' hook.

So how do I feel about the album as a whole ? The good stuff is good. Once upon a time, the music buff in me would have been open to checking out their next album. But to a music fan that knows that there is more great music out there than is possible to listen to, ... well ... I would be very hesitant, unless I knew that they aimed for a consistent 45 minutes of music instead of a roller coaster ride between enjoyable & unbearable listening experiences, no matter how epic it may sound to them.

And the best remedy might be that independant pair of ears. Barely a three, and kindly so on the high points I've mentioned. Before buying, best to sample. The two MP3s available here represent the negative, and I would have chosen other samples than those on their site . Maybe they can be persuaded to authorize some of the songs I've enjoyed...
===

(c) Review by Windhawk, PA

A nice piece of heavy progressive rock from this Norwegian outfit on their sophomore production.

Drawn out heavy riffs and slow riff patterns form the foundation on most tunes on this venture. Synths and organ swirls behind in the soundscape, and the vocalist has a powerful voice, verging on operatic at time. Rich textures sonic tapestries are woven, with an emphasis on the creation of majestic moods. And the overall mood of this creation is markedly tinged with a 70's feel.

It's a charming acquaintance, not innovative as such but exploring a style of music popular amongst many - in this case with at times really strong resemblance to Uriah Нeep as they were in their heyday, albeit heavier and with a few early Kansas-inspired elements thrown in for good measure. A few mellow mood pieces and folk-tinged segments adds variation, adding a slight Camel tinge to the compositions. But first and foremost this disc takes on the sound of Нeep and adds a few degrees of heavy flavours to it, and should be of interest to fans of that band in particular.
===

Enjoy!
WBR, Michael Baryshnikov.

--- wfido
Ответ