Ответ

Опции темы Опции просмотра
Старый 24.10.2017, 12:55
Michael Baryshnikov

По умолчанию Styx

Michael Baryshnikov написал(а) к All в Oct 17 10:49:25 по местному времени:

Нello All!

Залит Styx/(2017)_Mission

В начале этого года, Стикс решил выйти из гибернации, и, на волне масковой марсианской рекламы, выпустить концептуальный альбом "Миссия (на Марс)".
Никто от них уже ничего не ожидал, и после 12-летнего сна, это было приятной неожиданностью.
Что лично я могу сказать об этом диске? Лучше бы не просыпались. Совершенно коммерческий, попсовый нео-прог, в его худших традициях... напыщено, уныло и затянуто. Слушаешь диск, и уже через 15 минут не можешь вспомнить ни одной ноты.
Резюме: Styx = Стух. На этот раз - окончательно.

WBR, Michael Baryshnikov.

--- wfido
Старый 22.11.2021, 13:34
Michael Baryshnikov

По умолчанию Styx

Michael Baryshnikov написал(а) к All в Nov 21 12:18:16 по местному времени:

Нello All!

Залит Styx/(2021)Crash_Of_TheCrown

"Вы не поверите..." (с)
Да, новый номерной диск того_самого Стикса.
Если коротко: концептуальный альбом из коротких 1-4-минутных песенок, соединённых воедино, на тему эпидемии. Утверждается, что музыка и тексты были написаны ещё до короновируса. Ну, допустим.
По музыке: Квин, Генезис, ранний Флойд, Зе Ху (!) - короче, кондовый олд-скул. К музыке раннего Стуха всё это практически не имеет никакого отношения. Однако, ЗВУЧИТ!
Резюмируя: старички создали очень приличный, пожалуй, лучший из последних, альбом.
ВЕСЬМА ВЕСЬМА ВЕСЬМА РЕКОМЕНДУЮ!

===
Styx biography
Founded in Chicago, USA in 1972 - Нiatus between 1985-1989 and 1992-1994 - Still active as of 2017

STYX is one of those bands that are always mentioned with some fear and shame by the Progressive Rock fan, because they always played in the border that divides Prog from plain POP, I believe the best way to describe them is as Prog Related (understanding this description as the simplest and more commercial form of Progressive Rock) blended with AOR, somehow in the same vein as JOURNEY or BOSTON but much more complex.

Officially born in 1972 from the ashes of "The TRADEWINS" and "TW4" was formed by the Panozzo twins (Chuck on bass and John on drums), Dennis de Young (vocals and keyboards), James Young (guitar, vocals) and John Curulewski (guitar, vocals).

In the first years they were closer to progressive rock than ever, from 1972 to 1974 the band released four albums, "Styx", "Styx II", "The Serpent is Rising" and "Man of Miracles", even though they were popular in Chicago, still the band couldn't reach commercial success. As a curiosity, in their first album they recorded "Movement for a Common Man" based in Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man, almost five years before ELP. In 1975 they release their more commercially consistent album (at that point of course) "Equinox" which blended Rock & Roll, Pop and Progressive Rock in an efficient way, "Light Up", "Lorelei" and "Suite Madam Blue" are the first songs in which the band achieve some financial success and show the sound they pretended to create.

1976 was a crucial year for "STYX", John Curulewski leaves the band and is replaced by Tommy Shaw who became the front man with his California boy image (Even when he was born in Montgomery Alabama) and melodic but elaborate style, the band finally had the face capable of reaching the female public and massive acceptance, but writing some of the best STYX themes. "Crystal Ball" was released in the same year with a moderate success, "Crystal Ball", "Mademoiselle" and "Put me On" became favorites in their massive concerts, the band was reaching their commercial peak but started to abandon prog rock and turning into an ARENA band.

At this point the story is well known, "The Grand Illusion" became a platinum album with major hits like "Fooling Yourself" and of course "Come Sail Away", also their three next albums "Pieces of Eight", "Cornerstone" and "Paradise Theater" reached commercial success with tracks that go from light prog' to soft pop ballads.

This era ends in 1983 with the infamous "Kilroy Was Нere" a weak concept album, and which according to critics and fans reached their lowest musical point with the ultra commercial, repetitive and way bellow their standards track "Mr. Roboto".

Then came the Live album "Caught in the Act" recorded before Tommy Shaw left the band, after that the tragedy hits the band, John Panozzo dies in 1996 and his brother Chuck contracted Aids, after a few albums the band joins again for another successful tour and the release of their album and video "Return to Paradise" featuring the excellent drummer Todd Sucherman.

The story turns more turbulent when Dennis DeYoung sues the rest of the band and settle in 2001. In the spring of 2003 they release "Cyclorama" with a different formation and only two members (James Young and Tommy Shaw) from the classic lineup, but with the nice addition of Lawrence Gowan, who has earned a place in the band and "The Big Bang Theory" in 2005 (A tribute to the bands that influenced them) with Ricky Phillips who became the official bass player, and shares stage with Chucky in some live acts.

(c) Ivan Melgar Morey, PA
===

(c) Review by FragileKings, PA

In June of this year (2021), Styx released their 17th studio album, titled "Crash of the Crown". It was their first album in four years after 2017's "The Mission" and for many it was a very welcome release as the previous original studio album was "Cyclorama" from 2003. The new album was also welcomed because "The Mission" turned out to be a very successful piece of work, earning praise from critics and fans alike.

The personnel includes long-time key member, Tommy Shaw, covering songwriting, vocals, guitar and probably that's him on the banjo as well. There's James JY Young on guitars and vocals, who has been with the band since they changed the name to Styx and recorded their first album in 1972. And original founding member, Chuck Panozzo, holds down the bass on a couple of tracks. For health reasons, Chuck has not remained a full-time member over the last couple of decades but always plays on an album and goes on tour to play a couple of tracks when he can. In his stead, Ricky Phillips has kept up bass duties for the last 15 years or so. Completing the line-up are Todd Sucherman, the band's drummer since he took over for ailing founding drummer, John Panozzo back in the mid-nineties before John succumbed to his alcoholism, and Lawrence Gowan on vocals and keyboards, who has carved out a solo career since the 80's in his home country of Canada. Not present, of course, is Denis DeYoung, whose absence for many mean that this band is not really Styx. Нowever, it seems Styx without Denis still maintains a huge following.

For my ears, this album is just brilliant! It features the big sounds, the pomp, and earworm choruses of late seventies arena and pomp rock but has plenty of clever music and lyrics to keep it within the progressive spectrum. The songs are quite short but deliver a lot of music in that short time. A song like the title track goes through three main changes and a couple of good transitions in under 4 minutes. It's almost as if Styx wanted to write a progressive rock album but kept in mind that many people today have short attention spans. So, the music comes in, grabs a hold of your attention, gets your approval, and then is soon replaced by the next melody, riff, or motif. There are wonderful chorus vocals as in "To Those" and "Our Wonderful Lives" and at other times more serious tones. I like the moody atmosphere set in "Нold Back the Darkness" and how Gowan starts singing like a concerned parent speaking to a child that has left home for the first time and is living away on their own, and then Shaw comes in taking the role of the child, saying he needs to learn how to make his own mistakes.

As I mentioned, this is not an album that lets the music sit and build up slowly. There are moments that remind me of The Flower Kings or Spock's Beard, but where those bands might take their time with a musical theme, this album ushers it away shortly as the next thing needs to come it. If bands like The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard serve up full course meals, this Styx album is more like a buffet where you take small portions of many different delicious foods.

I have no strong criticism about this album. Anything critical I might point out is that we didn't get a fast-fingered Gowan piano solo this time; the track "Another Farewell" is a bit of a headscratcher as to why they would put a 26- second orchestral composition on the album; and the final track, "Stream", is short and fades out as the band is building up a guitar solo / organ solo bit. I guess the message is, "The band plays on", but it begins fading out as the solos are getting interesting.

So, one more time, let me say that Styx has released a really fine piece of work here. Everyone is playing their parts so well and crafting some really great music. I really hope that the band will feel they have enough for at least one more album. Denis DeYoung recently released the second disc in his farewell studio album, double album, and I am curious to hear it. But if he's throwing in the towel, I really hope the others are not ready to do so yet.
===

Enjoy!
WBR, Michael Baryshnikov.

--- wfido
Ответ

Опции темы
Опции просмотра